Here is one of my favorite recipes from my mom. This was a dish she would make on Christmas Eve. Growing up in an Italian household this was one of the biggest days for celebration. The others were Chrismas Day, New Year’s Day, Easter, and of course, being an Italian-American, Thanksgiving.
She would lay out a feast made entirely of seafood. Some call this the “Feast of the Seven Fishes“.
At our table, she made two types of squid: chilled squid salad as well as baked stuffed squid, dried codfish (baccala), baked stuffed flounder, shrimp cocktail, clams, sometimes eel, and the first course was always Aglio olio (garlic in oil) with anchovies.
This is a great dish that is very easy and simple to make. It just requires a few steps.
You just mince and gently saute it in a pan with olive oil.
Aglio Olio Olive Oil, Garlic and Anchovies Pasta
1 can of anchovies
1/4 cup olive oil (or more)
1 lb. of pasta
4-5 Cloves Garlic Minced
1 Cup of Reserved Pasta Water
1) Add 6 Cups of Water to a large pot with salt added
2) Boil water add pasta to cook according to directions
3) Mince 5-6 cloves of garlic
4) Add olive oil and garlic. Sautee (DO NOT overcook garlic)
5) Add can of anchovies
6) Add 1 cup of pasta water and turn to medium
7) Drain pasta
8) Combine the sauce over garlic
9) Eat and enjoy!
Here’s a video tutorial: